Supporting Core Operations
We make behind-the-scenes systems work like a charm, now and into the future.
The central plant is the heart, lungs, and brain of a large facility or campus. The distribution system, then, is the arteries, veins and nerves, branching out and connecting to every system, in every space, of every building. The sheer scale and complexity of the combined operation sets campus infrastructure apart from any other application of MEP systems. The stakes are all the more critical in 24/7 operating environments, where continuity of services and reliable emergency backup are critical. The consultant you choose for campus infrastructure work has to be capable of looking at the ‘big picture’ as well as focusing on the details of every little moving part.
That’s where Wood Harbinger stands apart.
We distinguish our methodology for campus infrastructure planning and design by unifying the disciplines of mechanical and electrical engineering with expertise in master planning and first hand, client-side facilities operation experience. We begin these projects with an in-depth design charrette to set priorities and better understand the full range of needs.
Our highly specialized capability in campus infrastructure make us unique among peers. That’s why our work in this area reaches from the north slope of Alaska down to El Salvador and as far east as Russia and China, India, Nigeria and Dubai.
Campus Infrastructure By the Numbers
- >15 project awards in campus utility generation and distribution in the past 5 years.
- 33% of our work includes campus infrastructure.
- Generation & distribution systems
- Central heating & power plants
- Chillers & cooling towers
- Petroleum & fueling systems
- Standby & emergency generators
- Substations design
- Piping systems design
- Industrial Controls
- Existing conditions analysis & study
- Master planning
- Needs assessment & analysis
- Life cycle cost analysis (LCCA)
- Cost estimating & scheduling
- Computational fluid dynamics (flu gas dispersion & exhaust re-ingestion)
- 3D modeling/BIM
- Construction phasing for continuous operations
- Heat & mass flow balance
- Hydraulic, seismic & stress analysis & modeling
- Energy modeling
- Utility company energy efficiency incentives
- Central utility plants
- Higher education campuses
- Healthcare facilities
- Military facilities
- Municipal facilities
- Airport terminals
- Aircraft maintenance facilities
- Corporate campuses and offices
- Commercial & industrial facilities
- Fuel farms
- Water & wastewater treatment plants
- Manufacturing/production facilities
- Special purpose warehouses
- Maintenance facilities
- Upland and waterfront facilities
Campus Infrastructure Projects
Central Energy Plant
MultiCare Health Systems
Steam Distribution System Upgrade
Washington State University
Central Power Station Upgrade: Chilled Water Plant
University of Oregon